عنوان مقاله [English]
Aim: Irisin is one of the factors that mediate beneficial effects of exercise on adipose tissue conversion, uncoupling protein1 (UCP1) and metabolism. Therefore, the aim of this study was to determine the effect of six weeks high intensity interval training (HIIT) with Turmeric supplementation on Irisin, UCP1 and body composition in obese females.
Method: Thirty obese women (BMI=33.08±1.78 kg.m-2) age range of 20-25 years in quasi-experimental study with pre-post testing design, were selected purposefully and were randomly divided into two homogeneous groups of 15 participants: HIIT+placebo, and HIIT+Turmeric supplementation (3 milligram curcumin per kilogram body weight per day). Preparation period performed for 3 weeks and HIIT performed for six weeks (4 sessions per week). Blood samples were taken, before and 24 hours after last exercise session in the follicular phase. Serum irisin and UCP1 were measured by ELISA method.
Results: In both groups, irisin levels, subcutaneous fat and BMI significantly decreased (P<0.05), and UCP1 levels and VO2max significantly increased after nine weeks intervention (P<0.05). There was no significant difference between groups for irisin, UCP1, total subcutaneous fat, BMI and VO2max values.
Conclusion: Six weeks high intensity interval training with turmeric supplementation probably could improve body composition by decreasing Irisin and increasing UCP1 levels.
1. Aghamohammadi M, Habibi A , Ranjbar R. (2016). The Effect of Selective Aerobic Training on Serum Irisin Levels and Insulin Resistance Index in Women with Type 2 Diabetes. Arak Medical University Journal. 18(104): 1-9. [Persian]
2. Almenning, I., Rieber-Mohn, A. , Lundgren, K. M. , Shetelig Lovvik, T. , Garnaes, K. K. , Moholdt, T. (2015).Effects of High Intensity Interval Training and Strength Training on Metabolic, Cardiovascular and Hormonal Outcomes in Women with Polycystic Ovary Syndrome: A Pilot Study. PLoS One, 10(9): e0138793.
3. Amaro Andrade P, Souza Silveira B.K, Corrêa Rodrigues A, Oliveira da Silva F.M, Barbosa Rosa C.O, Gonc alves Alfenas R.C.(2018). Effect of exercise on concentrations of irisin in overweight individuals: A systematic review.Sci Sports.
4. Boström P, Wu J, Jedrychowski M P, Korde A, Ye L, Lo J C, Rasbach K A, Boström E A, Choi J H, and et al.( 2012). A PGC1α-dependent myokine that drives browning of white fat and thermogenesis. Nature. Author manuscript. 481(7382): 463–468.
5). Boutcher,S.H.(2011).High-intensity intermittent exercise and fat loss.Journal of Obesity: 868305.
6. Cabral-Santos,C. Gerosa-Neto,J, Sayuri Inoue,D, Valéria Leme Gonçalves Panissa, Luís Alberto Gobbo, Alessandro Moura Zagatto, Eduardo Zapaterra Campos, Fábio Santos Lira. (2015). Similar Anti-Inflammatory Acute Responses from Moderate-Intensity Continuous and High-Intensity Intermittent Exercise. Journal of Sports Science and Medicine.14: 849-856.
7. EFSA (2010). Scientific Opinion on the re-evaluation of curcumin (E 100) as a food additive. EFSA Panel on Food Additives and Nutrient Sources added to Food (ANS). European Food Safety Authority (EFSA), Parma, Italy 8(9): 1679.
8. FAO/WHO (2004). Evaluatin of certain food additives and contaminants. Sixty-first meeting of the Joint FAO/WHO Expert Committee on Food Addtives. WHO Technical Report Series 922.
9. Felizola, S. J. A.(2015). Ursolic acid in experimental models and human subjects: Potential as an antiobesity/overweight treatment.
10. Hafmann T, Elbelta U, Stengela A.(2014). Irisin as a muscle-derived hormone stimulating thermogenesis – A critical update. Peptides. 54:89-100.
11. Huh, J. Y. Panagiotou, G. Mougios, V. Brinkoetter, M. Vamvini, M. T. Schneider, B. E. Mantzoros, C. S.(2012). FNDC5 and irisin in humans: I. Predictors of circulating concentrations in serum and plasma and II. mRNA expression and circulating concentrations in response to weight loss and exercise. Metabolism. 61(12): 1725-38.
12. Hwang Y C, Jeon W C, Park C Y and Youn B S.(2016). The ratio of skeletal muscle mass to visceral fat area is a main determinant linking circulating irisin to metabolic phenotype.Cardiovasc Diabetol. 15(9).
13. Jackson AS, Pollock ML. (1978). Generalized equations for predicting body density of men. Br J Nutr. 40(3): 497-504.
14. Jimenez-Osorio A.S, Monroy A, Alavez S.(2016). Curcumin and insulin resistance Molecular targets and clinical evidences. BioFactors. 42(6): 561–580.
15. Khosravianfar M, Jalali Dehkordi K, Sharifi G, Jalali DehkordiA.(2018). [Comparison of the effect of period of resistance, aerobic and concurrent training on irisin, CRP serum levels in obese women]. Journal of Shahrekord University of Medical Sciences. 20(2): 13-23. [Persian]
16. Kurdiova T, Balaz M, Vician M, Maderova D, Vlcek M, Valkovic L, Srbecky M, Imrich R, Kyselovicova O, Belan V, Jelok I, Wolfrum C, Klimes I, Krssak M, Zemkova E, Gasperikova D, Ukropec J, Ukropcova B.(2014). Effects of obesity, diabetes and exercise on Fndc5 gene expression and irisin release in human skeletal muscle and adipose tissue: in vivo and in vitro studies. J Physiol. 592(5):1091-107.
17. LaForgia J, Withers RT, Gore CJ.( 2006). Effects of exercise intensity and duration on the excess post-exercise oxygen consumption. J Sports Sci. 24(12): 1247-1264.
18. Little, J. P. Safdar, A. Bishop, D. Tarnopolsky, M. A. Gibala, M. J.(2011). An acute bout of high-intensity interval training increases the nuclear abundance of PGC-1alpha and activates mitochondrial biogenesis in human skeletal muscle." Am J Physiol Regul Integr Comp Physiol. 300(6): R1303-1310.
19. Löffler D, Müller U, Scheuermann K, Friebe D, Gesing J, Bielitz J, Erbs S, Landgraf K, Wagner IV, Kiess W, Körner A.(2015). Serum irisin levels are regulated by acute strenuous exercise. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 100(4):1289-99.
20. Lone, J. Choi, J. H. Kim, S. W. Yun, J. W.(2016). Curcumin induces brown fat-like phenotype in 3T3-L1 and primary white adipocytes. J Nutr Biochem.27: 193-202.
21. Lopaschuk, G. D.(2016). Uncoupling proteins as mediators of mitochondrial metabolic rates.Heart Metab. 69:34-37
22. Meydani, M. Hasan,S.T.(2010). Dietary polyphenols and obesity.Nutrients. 2(7): 737-751.
23. Miyamoto-Mikami,E. Sato, K.Kurihara, T. Hasegawa, N.Fujie, S. Fujita, S. and et al.(2015).Endurance training-induced increase in circulating irisin levels is associated with reduction of abdominal visceral fat in middle-aged and older adults. PLoS One.10(3): e0120354.
24. Norheim F, Langleite T.M, Hjorth M, Holen T, Kielland A, StadheimH.K, and et al.(2014).The effects of acute and chronic exercise on PGC-1a, irisin and browning of subcutaneous adipose tissue in humans. FEBS Journal.281: 739-749.
25. Palacios-Gonzalez, B, Vadillo-Ortega,F, Polo-Oteyza, E, Sanchez,T, Ancira-Moreno,M, Romero-Hidalgo,S, Meraz,N, and Antuna-Puente,B.(2015). Irisin Levels Before and After Physical Activity Among School-Age Children with Different BMI: A Direct Relation with Leptin. Obesity. 23(4): 729-732.
26. Poher A.N, Altirriba J, Veyrat-Durebex c, and Rohner-Jeanrenaud F.(2015).Brown adipose tissue activity as a target for the treatment of obesity/insulin resistance. Frontiers in Physiology.6(4): 1-9.
28. Ray Hamidie, R. D. Yamada, T. Ishizawa, R. Saito, Y. Masuda, K.(2015). Curcumin treatment enhances the effect of exercise on mitochondrial biogenesis in skeletal muscle by increasing cAMP levels. Metabolism. 64(10): 1334-1347.
29. Robinson E, Durrer C, Simtchouk S, Jung M E, Bourne J E, Voth E, Little J P. (2015). Short-term high-intensity interval and moderate-intensity continuous training reduce leukocyte TLR4 in inactive adults at elevated risk of type 2 diabetes. J Appl Physiol. 119(5): 508-16.
30. Sakamoto T, Takahashi N, Sawaragi Y, Naknukool S, Yu R, Goto T, Kawada T. (2013).Inflammation induced by RAW macrophages suppresses UCP1 mRNA induction via ERK activation in 10T1/2 adipocytes." Am J Physiol Cell Physiol. 304(8): C729-738.
31. Saleem A, Safdar A, Haikalis M, Akhtar M, Suri R and Tarnopolsky M.(2015). Exercise-Induced Amelioration of Diet-Induced Obesity and Diabetes is Not Regulated by Irisin.The FASEB Journal. 29(no. 1 Supplement 992.4
32. Sari-Sarraf V, Nikoukheslat S, Niknam Z. (2018). Response of Irisin, Insulin and the visceral fat to muscle mass ratio of sedentary obese women to 8weeks of endurance and concurrent training. The Journal of Urmia University of Medical Sciences. 28(12): 817-825. [Persian]
33. Skleryk JR, Karagounis LG, Hawley JA, Sharman MJ, Laursen PB, and et al.(2013). Two weeks of reduced-volume sprint interval or traditional exercise training does not improve metabolic functioning in sedentary obese men.Diabetes Obes Metab. 15: 1146-1153.
34. Stengel A, Hofmann T, Goebel-Stengel M, Elbelt U, Kobelt P, Klapp,B.F.(2013). Circulating levels of irisin in patients with anorexia nervosa and different stages of obesity Correlation with body mass index. Peptides. 39 125–130.
35. Tofighi A , Mohammadi Topuzabadi (2016) . The effect of eight weeks high intensity interval training on plasma irisin and subcutaneous adipose tissue UCP-1in male obese rats]. Journal of Sport in Biomotor Sciences. 16(2): 62-69. [Persian]
36. Tsuchiya Y, Ando D, Goto K, Kiuchi M, Yamakita M and Koyama K.(2014). High-Intensity Exercise Causes Greater Irisin Response Compared with Low-Intensity Exercise under Similar Energy Consumption. Tohoku J. Exp. Med. 233: 135-140
37. Tsuchiya Y, Ijichi T, Goto K.(2015). Effect of sprint training on resting serum irisin concentration-Sprint training once daily vs.twice every other day.Metabolism. 65(4): 492-495.
38. Wang S, Wang X, Ye Z, Xu C, Zhang M, Ruan B, and et al.( 2015). Curcumin promotes browning of white adipose tissue in a norepinephrine-dependent way. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 466(2): 247-253.
39. Weiglein, L. Herrick, J.; Kirk S.; and Kirk, E.(2011). The 1-Mile Walk Test is a Valid Predictor of VO2max and iI a Reliable Alternative Fitness Test to the 1.5-Mile Run in US Air Force Males. Mil Med. Jun;176 (6):669-73.
40. Wickenberg J,Ingemansson S. L, Hlebowicz J.(2010).Effects of Curcuma longa (turmeric) on postprandial plasma glucose and insulin in healthy subjects. Nutrition Journal. 9(43(.
41. Zhang,C, Ding, Z, Lv,G, Li, J, Zhou,P and Zhang,J.(2016).Lower irisin level in patients with type 2 diabetes mellitus:A case-control study and meta-analysis. Journal of Diabetes.8: 56-62
42. Zhang G, Sun Q, Liu C.(2016). Influencing Factors of Thermogenic Adipose Tissue Activity. Front Physiol. 7: 29.